Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Post bypass Surgery Physiotherapy


Post bypass Surgery Physiotherapy
It is natural to feel tired and in pain, have occasional nightmares, loss of taste bud and appetite, after a cardiac surgery. It is hard to believe when the Doctor advised patients to begin physiotherapy immediately after the surgery rather than allowing a period of rest. The physiotherapy treatment during the hospital stay however consists of early mobilization, range of motion exercises and breathing exercises.
Before being discharged from IJN, its Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Department prescribed a programmed in order to help me to go back to “most” of my original lifestyle as early as is possible.
With the correct exercises, I hope to become healthier than what I was before the cardiac surgery. The programme will help prevent or diminish postoperative complications and alleviate symptoms of cardiac diseases like chest pains, artery diseases, heart failures or cardiac arrests.
My physiotherapy and rehab programme (eight biweekly sessions) commences at IJN on 14 Feb 2011, about a month after my surgery. I have reserved Mondays and Wednesdays in my weekly schedule especially for this programme.
Upon registration for my first session, a stress test was administered to determine my fitness level i.e. my capacity for exercise and also to set on the target I would like to achieve at the end of this rehab programme. Based on this information, the physiotherapist was able to sketch out the routine for my physical therapy.
It is comforting for patients “like me” to perform the initial exercises in the presence of physiotherapist. I also observe that the subsequent sessions are also conducted under the vigilance of hospital staff to ensure the medical safety of the patient. In case there is any discomfort while performing these exercises, the medical personnel can immediately take over and manage the situation.
These exercises involve similar cardiovascular exercises as the first test session, like walking the treadmill and stationary bike, group aerobic, warming up, stretching etc. For each of the activity, the physiotherapist or assistance keeps a track and record the person's vital signs. This tracked data is collated and analyzed.
The workout was fun since it was conducted in a group and accompanied by suitable rhythmic music. Indeed, group participation supported by the professional and charming staffs and “friends of IJN” help sustain “my interest” in the exercise program. Oh yes, I do need strong motivating force since exercising has never been in my blood.
Unless we are facing severe complications, we are encouraged to continue with the exercise in the privacy of our homes three to five times weekly. Hey.. you.. couch potato.. stop warming your couch…yup I am addressing this to “yours truly”!
The progress of my physiotherapy treatment would help determine if I am allowed to include other activities in my routine. Generally, I was made to understand that it is possible for the patient to gradually perform all normal activities after the third month.
I have thus far achieved my target to have my weight at 73kg BMI. Hooray. The problem is that I have to new sets of clothing or settle with those I used in the seventies and eighties - that is if I still have them. Nonetheless, I am very pleased with my achievement. Without physiotherapy, I believe, a cardiac patient will remain weak and may even grow weaker.
As part of the rehab programme, we are required to participate in a one-hour nutrition workshop on Malaysia’s number one killer – heart disease – focusing on modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors. The workshop was very educational and informative. I hope this simple workshop should be made available to all Malaysian to help them CHANGE their lifestyle FOR THE BETTER through healthy diet, regular exercise, and stop smoking.
We should put this prevention strategy in a wider sense higher up the health care agenda of Malaysia in order to promote policies that will lead to long-term health improvements. Needless to say the objective of these policies is to encourage better diet and lifestyles which are key to the prevention of so many chronic diseases including the heart disease.  

1 comment:

  1. Your personal doctorFebruary 26, 2011 at 7:01 AM

    Your physiotherapy sounds fun! can i join next time??!!
    I'm glad to hear that you're recovering well.. i can't wait to see you all as soon as i get a holiday (which is so difficult to get. my schedule is so hectic due to the recent lack of h.os)
    btw, papa i've gained weight since joining this department despite my hectic schedule. minimum 3 kg.. i'm 44-45kg now! i don't know whether that's a good or a bad thing.. whatever it is, i feel FAT hahaha :D
    miss you XOXO

    ReplyDelete